Rumors are bouncing around saying that Microsoft is planning to remove the function for hiding the most used apps from the start menu in Windows 10, which provides a link to the Apps view. These kind of rumors can lead to a lot of confusion for users, so we thought it is best to set the record straight.
While most will agree that the new Start menu is a massive improvement over the cluttered mess that plagued the operating system for years, there is one glaring omission—the most used apps. With Windows 10, Microsoft introduced the ability to hide these apps within the Start menu, making your desktop more usable, but many users are not happy about this. In fact, many users have begun to complain about this new feature, namely, they want to see all the apps that they use most.
Microsoft is finally making its much-anticipated Windows 11 operating system available to testers and will be available in public beta by the end of this year . Windows 11 is a major overhaul of the operating system that will transform the way users interact with their PC, and it comes with some exciting new features. When it’s available for general use, Windows 11 will boast a new Start Menu that is more customizable than ever before.
For the current user or all users of your computer, you may hide or display the most used applications from the Windows 11 Start Menu. You can manage that list in a variety of ways, which we’ll go through in this article.
The Most Used section in the Windows 11 Start menu shows six of your most frequently used applications. Its primary goal is to make it easier for you to access your preferred applications.
The more often you open a particular app, the higher it will rank on the list. Windows automatically populates the most utilized area based on your interactions with installed applications. It is not possible to change it manually.
At the time of writing, Windows 11 does not display the most frequently used applications by default. Some people like a cleaner Start menu, while others miss this functionality. In Windows 11, there is a setting for the current user. You may use Group Policy to modify this option for all users. Here’s how to do it.
How to Use Settings to Hide or Show Your Most Used Apps
- Using the Win + I keys, open the Settings app.
- On the left, choose Personalization.
- Click Start in the right pane.
- On the next screen, turn the Show most used applications option on or off.
You’ve completed your task. You may return to the Most Used app list at any time by changing the mentioned setting.
Note: If the “Show most used apps” option is grayed out, open Settings, go to Privacy & security > General, and enable Let Windows improve Start and search results by tracking app launches.
You may also uninstall certain frequently used applications much more quickly. You may do this right from the Start menu.
Remove a certain app from the most often used list
To get the “All applications” option, go to the Start menu and choose “All apps.”
You will see the full list of installed programs arranged by alphabet. Simply right-click the app you want to remove from the Most used list, and select More > Don’t show in this list.
Only the current user is affected by the two choices discussed. You’ll need to utilize a Group Policy to configure this functionality for all users. The Local Group Policy Editor tool is only available in Windows 11 Pro and Enterprise versions (gpedit.msc). Users of the Home versions may perform a registry modification described in a separate chapter further down.
With Group Policy, you may make the most used apps in Windows 11 always visible or hidden.
- By hitting Win + R and typing gpedit.msc in the Run box, you may access the Group Policy Editor.
- Go to Administrative TemplatesStart Menu and Taskbar in Computer ConfigurationAdministrative TemplatesStart Menu and Taskbar.
- Find the policy called Show or hide “Most used” list from Start menu on the right.
- Double-click it and change the value to one of the following:
- Allow the user to manually switch on or off the Most Used app list in the Start menu if it is not set.
- Enabled: If you choose Show from the drop-down list, the Most Used applications feature in the Start menu will be forced on all users. You may conceal the app list for all users by choosing Hide.
- To have the modification take effect, restart Windows 11.
Finally, if you’re using Windows 11 Home, you won’t be able to use the gpedit.msc program. Instead, you’ll need to make a Registry change.
In the Windows 11 Registry, you may show or hide the Most Used Apps.
- Press Win + R and enter regedit in the Run box, then press Enter to open the Registry Editor.
- Go to the key that follows. HKEY LOCAL MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindowsExplorer. If the Explorer key is absent, you must manually create it.
- Create a new 32-bit DWORD value ShowOrHideMostUsedApps under the Explorer key.
- Set it to 2 to make the Most Used app list invisible to all users.
- Set it to 1 to display it to all users at all times.
- To revert to the defaults, remove the ShowOrHideMostUsedApps value.
- To implement the enforcement, restart the computer.
Done! You may save time by using the REG files below.
Registry files that are ready to use
Use this link to get the ZIP archive. Remove the three REG files from it and save them to a suitable place.
Choose one of the following files based on your needs.
- Always Show Most Used Appsin Start Menu.reg – allows all users to see the most used app list.
- Always Hide Most Used Apps In Start Menu.reg – prevents all users from seeing the app list.
- Defaults For Most Used List In Start Menu.reg – enables each user to customize the choice via the Settings app. This is how things work by default.
To apply the modifications to the Registry, double-click the file and restart Windows 11.
That is all there is to it.
Please help us.
Winaero is completely reliant on your help. Use these choices to assist the site keep providing you interesting and helpful information and software:
Microsoft has launched a beta version of Windows 10 and while the new operating system seems to be once again rolling out fairly consistently, many users are still waiting for the release of Windows 10 to fully complete. Among the many new features of the operating system is the ability to hide or show most used apps, depending on how you like to use your machine.. Read more about let windows track app launches to improve start and search results and let us know what you think.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I see most used apps on Start menu?
The most used apps are listed on the Start menu.
How do I find my most used Windows apps?
To find your most used Windows apps, open up the start menu and type in apps. This will bring up a list of all the programs installed on your computer.
How do I hide most apps in the Start menu Windows 10?
You can hide apps in the Start menu by right-clicking on an app and selecting Hide this program.
This article broadly covered the following related topics:
- show most used apps greyed out
- let windows track app launches
- let windows track app launches greyed out
- how to enable show most used apps in windows 10
- show most used apps windows 10 greyed out